Over the course of the past 20 years, I’ve been searching for – among other things – the single best question to ask in an interview. What I wanted to create was a One-Question Interview, a stand-alone query that would pierce through the veneer of generalizations, overcome typical candidate nervousness, minimize the impact of the candidate’s personality on the interviewer, eliminate the exaggeration which many candidates adopt as an interviewing ploy and actually determine if the candidate is competent and motivated to do the work required. I also wanted this question to begin the recruiting process, convincing the candidate by the question itself that the person asking it was sophisticated and professional, and that the company involved was a great place to grow a career.
- A complete description of the accomplishment
- The company you worked for and what it did
- The actual results achieved: numbers, facts, changes made, details, amounts
- When it took place
- How long it took
- The importance of this accomplishment to the company
- Your title and role
- Why you were chosen
- The 3-4 biggest challenges you faced and how you dealt with them
- A few examples of leadership and initiative
- Some of the major decisions made
- The environment and resources available
- How you made more resources available
- The technical skills needed to accomplish the objective
- The technical skills learned and how long it took to learn them
- The actual role you played
- The team involved and all of the reporting relationships
- Some of the biggest mistakes you made
- How you changed and grew as a person
- What you would do differently if you could do it again
- Aspects of the project you truly enjoyed
- Aspects you didn’t especially care about
- The budget available and your role in preparing it and managing it
- How you did on the project vs. the plan
- How you developed the plan
- How you motivated and influenced others, with specific examples to prove your claims
- How you dealt with conflict with specific examples
- Anything else you felt was important to the success of the project
We are currently recruiting Structural ENGINEERS & TECHNICIANS for offices in Dublin & Kilkenny. Our client is a multidisciplinary consulting engineering practice employing 40 staff in Kilkenny & Dublin offices. With over 35 years in business, they...
We are currently looking for a Dental Surgery Assistant to join a successful team in a well-trusted Orthodontics Practice in Limerick city. Dental Surgery Assistant part time position, potentially leading to a full-time role comprehensive training will be provided...
Maintain and Nourish Relationships during Covid Online Interactive Programme for Employees (1hr 15mins)A lot of marriages, partnerships and personal relationships have been challenged by new circumstances arising during the pandemic: Remote working Home...
On behalf of our client, a well-established organisation, which is part of a worldwide business consultancy network, we are looking for a talented and ambitious SALES MANAGER Main responsibility Selling products and solutions into Irish Market Perfect fit excellent...
Tilda - Research Results Great news for Retirees! Recent research from TILDA (The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing) tells us that older people in Ireland report high levels of wellbeing – with most feeling younger than their actual age and maintaining a sense of...
Torc in New 'Virtual' Reality In response to the global pandemic situation and in the interest of our clients' safety all Torc Career and Retirement Planning Programmes have been adapted to the new reality and are currently available online. New Forms of Delivery Torc...
Mindfulness Workshop - Offer your Employees a Meaningful Gift at the end of this very difficult year! This 1 hour online Mindfulness Seminar delivered by a Chartered Psychologist can help everyone unwind and maintain positive emotions during this unsettling...
Many companies across Ireland have benefited from and acknowledged effectiveness of Torc's Mindfulness at Work programmes. What is Mindfulness? Mindfulness is a way of paying attention to what is happening in the present moment, without thinking about past or...
Guardian Jobs published a very interesting guide to Employer Branding – a topic which is very relevant to every company. This is the third of a series of short articles based on the Guardian guide. 5 tips for bolstering your employer brand Use insight from...